weare-brief-encounters said: Can I ask you the 60 music ask questions ?! :D
1. Favorite band: Jeez, I wonder which bands could possibly be my favorite…
2. Favorite singer: David Bowie
3. Favorite guitarist: It’s always changing. I know it sounds cliche, but at the moment my favorite guitarists are Slash and Izzy. In the past, my favorite guitarists have included Carlos Alomar, Mick Ronson, Jimmy Page, Adrian Belew, and Robert Fripp.
4. Favorite bassist: John Taylor
5. Favorite drummer: At the moment, Steven Adler
6. A musician you have a crush on: Too many!
7. Bands or musicians you’ve seen live: Phish and Arctic Monkeys
8. Your favorite song when you were 12: Anything by Johnny Cash and ABBA
9. Your favorite song when you were 15: 15 was a pivotal point in my life because that was the age I really got into music and started discovering bands on my own. I loved music before then too of course, but I mostly listened to whatever my parents played in the car or in the house. At 15 I discovered David Bowie, The Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop/The Stooges, and Roxy Music, so songs by them were (and still are) my favorite. If I had to pick a few songs for each of them, I’d say my favorites at the time were “Life on Mars”, “Rock N’ Roll Suicide”, “Cracked Actor”, “Time”, “Candidate”, and “Ashes to Ashes” by David Bowie, “Heroin”, “Venus in Furs”, “Sweet Jane”, and “Oh! Sweet Nuthin’” by The Velvet Underground, “Gimme Danger” and “Open Up and Bleed” by The Stooges, “The Passenger” by Iggy Pop, and “If There Is Something” by Roxy Music.
10. Your favorite song when you were 18: I discovered Franz Ferdinand when I was 18, and I became obsessed with their music.
11. Your favorite song now: “Country House” - Blur
12. A song that says something about your love life: I’m blanking right now, but anything about lack of love will suffice.
13. A song you listen to when you’re sad: I’m always sad, so I’ll listen to any song.
14. A song that makes you dance: New wave music always makes me dance.
15. A powerful song: ”POWER” - Kanye West
16. A musician you’d like to meet: Alex Kapranos
17. A song that is a collaboration of 2 or more artists you love: David Bowie’s Berlin trilogy is a collaboration with Brian Eno.
18. Favorite live DVD: Sing Blue Silver
19. Oldest band / musician you listen to: Johnny Cash
20. Favorite classical composer: I’m not knowledgeable enough about classical music to have a favorite composer.
21. A band/musician your friend(s) like(s), but you hate: Hate is a strong word, but I dislike Haim.
22. A band/musician that someone/something made you hate: Shrek and Shrek 2 gave me mixed feelings towards every song in both soundtracks because all I can think of when I hear them is Shrek. It took me years to stop associating “Changes” by David Bowie with human Shrek.
23. The musician you find the nicest: Simon Le Bon and Adam Ant
24. The musician you find the most attractive looking: John Taylor and Zayn Malik
25. Favorite album(s): SO MANY ALBUMS! I need a limit on how many albums I can list or else I will name a hundred of my favorite albums.
26. Favorite song which lasts more than 10 minutes: ”Metal Machine Music, Part II” - Lou Reed
Just kidding! My favorites are “Street Hassle” - Lou Reed, “Sister Ray” - The Velvet Underground, “Station to Station” - David Bowie, “Reba”- Phish, and “Coma” - Guns N’ Roses.
27. A song that always makes you cry: When you are as depressed as me, any song can make you cry.
28. A song that feels like it’s made about you / for you: ”Someone Great” - LCD Soundsystem
29. A song of one of your favorite bands/musicians that you’d show to someone to introduce the band/musician to them: Whenever I introduce someone to The Velvet Underground, I usually play “Sweet Jane” or “Oh! Sweet Nuthin’”. I made the mistake once of introducing someone to The Velvet Underground by playing “The Murder Mystery”, and the person could not handle the song. I also played “Erdbeer Mund” by Franz Ferdinand in the car on the way home from the movie theater during my sister’s birthday party this year, and I’m certain those girls will never listen to Franz Ferdinand ever again.
30. A band/musician you loved, but now can’t stand: I don’t hate any of my favorite childhood bands/musicians.
31. A band/musician you used to hate, but now love: Blur. I never hated Blur, but my dad was team Oasis, so I never really listened to Blur when I was younger.
32. A band/musician who made you listen to the kind of music you like most. (first one of the kind that you heard): The Stooges, The Velvet Underground, and David Bowie.
33. Do you and your partner(s) / best friend(s) share music tastes?: On tumblr, yes. In real life, no.
34. A band / musician that both you and your parent(s) like: My dad and I like a lot of the same music. For instance, we both love Guns N’ Roses and “Rio” by Duran Duran. He doesn’t love all of Rio, but he loves “Rio”!
35. A band / musician that made you meet someone you have loved: Franz Ferdinand
36. Song(s) that would be theme songs for your life or parts of it: I already answered this question in my last ask for the “Choose a song to define your life and explain it” question.
37. A band/musician you’d like to see live, but it’s never going to be possible: David Bowie
38. The favorite music CD/DVD(s) you own: Over my fall break, I spent every waking hour downloading CDs onto my new laptop because I was unable to set up iTunes on my laptop before college started. I decided to count exactly how many CDs my family owns because we have a large collection. My dad is as big of a music addict as me, so he owns boxes and boxes stacked full of CDs. In one of the houses we lived in, he customized the built-in television cabinets to hold all of his CDs. Anyway, the grand total is 840 CDs! I know my dad took one or two hundred CDs with him to Las Vegas too, so the total is closer to 1,000 CDs.
As a matter of fact, I texted my dad this afternoon about the CDs and told him we should get the at-home collection up to 1,000 CDs, and his response was, “Only 840? That’s unacceptable. We’ll make a run to Best Buy next time I see you!”.
39. An album you want to own: All of them! Four years ago I started an ongoing list of albums I need to buy, and that list is currently over 150 albums.
40. Do you own any vinyls?: Yes! I’ve only been collecting records for a little over a year, but I own 12 records. My goal is to own all of my favorite albums on vinyl, so hopefully my collection inventory will someday be in the thousands. I want to be that person who has the CD/MP3 version and LP version of every album.
41. A concert you could have attended and wanted to attend, but something made you not go. (e.g. health issues, work): I could have gone to the Franz Ferdinand concert in Philadelphia last year, but I wasn’t a fan of the band at the time and was unaware the band was touring the northeast.
42. A musician you wish hadn’t died: Amy Winehouse
43. A band / musician whose works helped you last through the day: All of the artists on my iPod have helped me at some point in my life.
44. A song you love to listen to when it snows: Christmas music
45. A song you love to listen to when it rains: "Purple Rain" - Prince and "November Rain" - Guns N’ Roses
46. A song that makes you smile: "King’s Lead Hat” - Brian Eno
47. A musician that shares similarities with you. (can be looks or personality or tastes): You tell me because I have no idea.
48. Favorite song from a movie or favorite anime opening: I love the Pokemon and Sailor Moon opening. I also love Disney songs and musicals.
49. Sure there is a language you don’t listen to music in, but you have this one song or band / musician that you like anyway. What’s that?: I dunno
50. The newest/youngest of the bands you like: The Arctic Monkeys formed in 2005, so I guess they are the most recent band I like. I really need to step up my modern band game.
51. Your ringtone:The intro to “For Your Pleasure” by Roxy Music
52. Your phone alarm: I used to set songs as my alarm, but then I would hate the songs a week later, so now I use marimba.
53. A guilty pleasure song: ”Paradise by the Dashboard Light” - Meat Loaf
54. A guilty pleasure band/musician: I have a weird love/hate relationship with Green Day
55. Your favorite song in your mother language: 99.9% of the music I listen to is sung in English, so my favorite songs in my mother language are the same as my overall favorite songs.
56. A song you listened to for laughs, but then actually loved it: “Anaconda” - Nicki Minaj
57. Your favorite picture of one of your favorite bands: If you go through my blog archive, you’ll find hundreds of my favorite photos of my favorite musicians! The photos I haven’t reblogged yet are buried deep in my liked posts.
58. The song that is currently playing. If you’re not listening to any, the last song you listened to: “Miss Shapiro” - Phil Manzanera
59. A song that you just can’t stop humming / singing: Before making this post, I had “Run to the Hills” by Iron Maiden and “Bennie and the Jets” by Elton John stuck in my head, but now I’m internally singing “Monster” by Kanye West.
60. Your favorite love song: For someone who has never been in a relationship, I like way too many love songs.